- CAN I RENEW MY DRIVER'S LICENSE IN THE VALLEY?
- CAN PROPERTY TAXES BE PAID IN VALLEY?
- DO COUNCIL MEMBERS HAVE OFFICES AT CITY HALL?
- DO I HAVE TO BE A RESIDENT OF VALLEY TO ATTEND THE SENIOR CENTER?
- DOES THE MAYOR HAVE AN OFFICE AT CITY HALL?
- HOW CAN I REPORT A PUBLIC WORKS PROBLEM?
- HOW DO I GET A COPY OF A PUBLIC RECORD?
- WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR CEMETERIES IN VALLEY?
- WHERE CAN I GET A BIRTH CERTIFICATE?
- WHERE CAN I GET A COPY OF THE COUNCIL AGENDA?
- WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A TAG?
- WHERE CAN I PURCHASE AN ANIMAL LICENSE?
- WHERE IS VALLEY, ALABAMA?
Yes. This can be done at the Chambers County Annex in Lanett.
CAN PROPERTY TAXES BE PAID IN VALLEY?
Yes. You may pay property taxes at the Chambers County Annex in Lanett.
DO COUNCIL MEMBERS HAVE OFFICES AT CITY HALL?
No. Council positions are not full-time positions and thus, they do not have offices at City Hall.
DO I HAVE TO BE A RESIDENT OF VALLEY TO ATTEND THE SENIOR CENTER?
Yes. The Valley Senior Center is for the residents of Valley who are seniors.
DOES THE MAYOR HAVE AN OFFICE AT CITY HALL?
Yes. The Mayor position is not a full-time job; however, the Mayor does have an office at City Hall.
HOW CAN I REPORT A PUBLIC WORKS PROBLEM?
A public works problem can be reported by going to the Public Works page, clicking on the Work Order link, and completing the form.HOW DO I GET A COPY OF A PUBLIC RECORD?
Contact the City Clerk at Valley City Hall to obtain the necessary form to request a copy of a Public Record.
WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR CEMETERIES IN VALLEY?
CITY CEMETERY RULES AND REGULATIONS
The rules and regulations contained herein apply to all city cemetery lot owners. The effective date of these rules and regulations shall be December 27th 2005, unless otherwise provided by additional ordinances. Rules and regulations specified by independent cemetery associations prior to this date or specified within burial lot deeds issued prior to this date remain in effect and are “grandfathered”. Aside from these exceptions, these rules and regulations apply equally to all city cemetery users.
1. The cemeteries will be open to visitors during the day but no visitors will be allowed after sunset or before sunrise. Children under 13 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
2. The speed limit on cemetery roads is 5 MPH. No parking will be allowed off paved or designated roads.
3. The City of Valley shall be notified at least 24 hours in advance of the day and time of a burial, to verify lot ownership, and approve the burial location. The City of Valley shall be given all pertinent information regarding the deceased and the responsible survivors prior to burial.
4. Flower receptacles shall be plastic, masonry, bronze or pottery. Glass, wood, paper and corrodible metal containers may not be used as flower receptacles. Flower receptacles should be placed next to the monument or grave marker, not on the grass.
5. Should lot owners desire to sell their unused lot(s), they must sell it to the City of Valley for the original purchase price. A lot may be transferred from one family member to another by notifying and obtaining approval of the City of Valley. This change must be shown on the original deed, or a new deed shall be required. Cost for changing or creating new deeds must be paid by the lot owner requesting the change.
6. Games, recreational activities, and social gatherings not associated with burials, memorial services, or grave visitations, are prohibited unless specifically approved by the City of Valley.
II. INTERMENTS AND DISINTERMENTS
1. All interments shall be enclosed in a regular concrete or metal vault. Vaults of other constructions must be approved in writing by the City of Valley. Burial vaults shall be covered by at least 18 inches of soil.
2. No interment will be permitted in a grave space that has not been fully paid for.
3. No burial will be permitted unless a permit has been issued by the City of Valley.
4. No disinterment will be allowed until proper authority is given.
5. A cemetery lot is to be used only as a burial lot for human remains.
6. The City of Valley shall not be held responsible for interments in the wrong cemetery lot for cases in which the City of Valley was not involved in the location of the lot.
III. MONUMENTS AND MARKERS
1. All monument dealers and grave diggers operating within the City of Valley shall be licensed by the City of Valley.
2. All monument dealers and grave diggers operating within city cemeteries will be responsible for damage they may cause to cemetery property, markers, and/or monuments.
3. The City of Valley shall not be held responsible for scratches or marks on privately owned grave markers or monuments that may have occurred during normal maintenance or as a result of natural deterioration.
4. Headstones, and ground level flat bronze markers, will be permitted in all city owned cemeteries.
5. Headstones shall not exceed 3 feet 6 inches in height above the ground.
6. Each grave shall be properly marked within twelve months following burial with a headstone or flat marker made from Granite, Marble or Bronze.
1. The City of Valley shall be responsible for maintenance and upkeep of its officially designated city cemeteries.
2. Lot Owners may maintain their own lots, provided they adhere to the following City Cemetery rules:
(A) Ground levels must not be altered.
(B) Grass must be cut on schedule coinciding with the City’s cutting schedule.
(C) No mounds will be allowed over graves beyond three (3) months from the burial date.
(D) No walls shall be built on or around burial lot(s).
(E) No shrubbery, trees, or flowers shall be planted on the lots.
(F) One Single Bench or seat made of Marble, Granite or Concrete may be placed on a family lot.
(G) No signs, banners, flags or decorations, other than floral and American flags not exceeding 18” in height, shall be placed on lots unless the City of Valley has proclaimed a special memorial occasion for which special decorations may be used on a temporary basis.
The duties and responsibilities of the City Cemetery Sexton shall include the following:
1. Furnish information to the City concerning sale of burial lots and any other information relating to record keeping.
2. Be available to show prospective burial lot buyers location of lots for sale.
3. Be available to assist family members and Funeral Directors in locating burial lots.
4. Monitor the condition of city cemeteries on a regular basis.WHERE CAN I GET A BIRTH CERTIFICATE?
You may obtain a birth certificate at the Chambers County Health Department.
WHERE CAN I GET A COPY OF THE COUNCIL AGENDA?
You may obtain a copy of the Council Agenda from the City Clerk or from the City web site.
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A TAG?
Tags may be obtained at the Chambers County Annex in Lanett.
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE AN ANIMAL LICENSE?
Animal licenses are obtained at City Hall.
WHERE IS VALLEY, ALABAMA?