June 12th City Council MeetingUser: webmaster
Date: 6/15/2017 7:12 am
Rating: 0 Rate [ | ]
The Valley City Council held its first regular scheduled meeting of June on Monday, June 12th, 2017, in the Council Chambers at Valley City Hall.
Mayor Leonard Riley called the meeting to order at 6:00PM. The invocation was given by Councilmember Randall Maddux and Councilmember Jim Jones led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Councilmember Paul Story was absent.
The June 12th financial audit report for the city was given as follows:
- Checking account previous balance.................. $5,032,321.09
- Total deposits all funds............................................ $757,502.67
- Total expenditures all funds.................................... $835,684.63
- Total on-hand all funds......................................... $4,954,139.13
During the Mayor’s Communications Councilmember he called for a public hearing to confirm costs of abatement at 4040 Columbus Road at the next council meeting and appointed Wayne Poer to serve on the Valley Housing Authority.
The following actions were taken by the city council at the June12th meeting:
- Approved the minutes from the May 15th, 2017, council meeting
- Accepted the June 12th financial audit report
- Approved unanimously the following resolutions on the Consent Agenda
- Resolution 17-063R declaring a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicle of the Valley Police Department as surplus and authorizing Police Chief Tommy Weldon to sell the vehicle
- Resolution 17-064R declaring a 1998 GMC Yukon vehicle of the Valley EMS Department as surplus and authorizing EMS Director Scott Hamil to sell the vehicle
- Resolution 17-065R declaring property at 7806 School Street as a public nuisance and authorizing the abatement of the nuisance
- Resolution 17-066R declaring property at 3019 51st Street as a public nuisance and authorizing the abatement of the nuisance
- Resolution 17-067R authorizing the creation of a Community Celebration Committee to help observe and commemorate the bicentennial of the State of Alabama
- Adjourned to Executive Session at 6:11pm to discuss Real Estate Negotiations and returned at 6:28pm
- Approved unanimously Resolution 17-068R accepting the bid of $220,700 by H & M Mechanical Inc. for the HVAC mechanical services for the Senior Center project
- Approved unanimously Resolution 17-069R authorizing Mayor Riley to seek bids for paving the following city streets
- California Road
- River Road
- 19th Place
- 26th Street
- 27th Street
- Approved unanimously Resolution 17-070R authorizing Mayor Riley to enter into an agreement with the Chambers County Commission to do improvements at the Shawmut, Langdale, and Riverview Boat Landings
- Suspended the rules for the following Ordinances and passed them unanimously on their first reading
- Ordinance 17-07 approving the sale of surplus city property, 10A Lower Street, to Michael Hill for $2,000.00
- Ordinance 17-08 approving the sale of surplus city property, 660 20th Avenue, to Gary Lane for $1,700.00
Mayor Riley announced that effective August 1, 2017 the city would start enforcing Ordinance 2007-34 regarding garbage service. The ordinance requires the OWNER of rental property to be responsible for paying the trash bill for their properties.
The mayor adjourned the council meeting at 6:38pm on this the 12th day of June 2017.