March 11th City Council MeetingUser: webmaster
Date: 3/18/2019 6:53 am
Rating: -1 Rate [ | ]
The Valley City Council held its first regular scheduled meeting of March on Monday, March 11th, 2019, in the Council Chambers at Valley City Hall.
Mayor Riley called the meeting to order at 6:00PM. The invocation was given by Councilmember Cassie Carlisle and Councilmember Henry Cooper led the Pledge of Allegiance. All members were present.
Prior to official council business Jim Clark was sworn in as the new councilmember for District 1 by Chambers County Probate Judge Paul Story who held the seat before his election as county probate judge.
A public hearing was held to confirm costs of demolition at the following properties:
- 1125 Foster Circle
- Bennett Street
The March 11th financial audit report for the city was given as follows:
- Checking account previous balance........................... $4,127,943.79
- Total deposits all funds................................................. $1,875,989.69
- Total expenditures all funds............................................$1,654,755.87
- Total on-hand all funds.................................................. $4,349,177.61
During Citizens’ Communications, David Bell addressed council on a proposed litter initiative.
During the Mayor’s Communications, a public hearing at the next council meeting was announced to declare the following properties a public nuisance and authorize abatement of the nuisance:
- 2310 38th Boulevard
- 2408 31st Street
The following actions were taken by the city council at the March 11th meeting:
- Approved the minutes from the February 25th, 2019, council meeting
- Accepted the March 11th financial audit report
- Approved unanimously the following resolutions on the Consent Agenda
- Resolution 2019-033R prices for replacing the roof at the Valley Police Department as follows:
- $14,000 from Roof Services Company to replace the flat roof
- $24,000 from AJ’s Roofing & Gutters to replace the shingled roof
- Resolution 2019-034R authorizing Mayor Riley execute a Corrective Deed with Henry Hudson Company Inc to correct an omitted portion of property transferred by the deed
- Resolution 2019-035R approved grass-cutting bids in the amount of $3,090 with Gerry Smith Lawn Services, Inc and Riverside Lawn Care for cutting the city’s cemeteries, City Hall & Valley Police Department, and Langdale Fountain Park, Veterans Park and Langdale Wooden Bridge Park
- Resolution 2019-036R declaring a public nuisance and authorizing the abatement of the nuisance at 203 Stanfield Road
- Resolution 2019-037R declaring a public nuisance and authorizing the abatement of the nuisance at Carter Lane
- Resolution 2019-038R allowing the public consumption of alcoholic beverages at an event on April 27, 2019 to be held at the Lakeview Camp Property
- Resolution 2019-039R allowing the public consumption of alcoholic beverages at an event on June 29, 2019 to be held in the Crowder Room of the Valley Community Center
- Resolution 2019-040R declaring a Focus II Disc34 Floor Machine Serial # N4000019628 used at the Valley Community Center as surplus allowing Parks and Recreation Director Laurie Blount to sell the item
- Resolution 2019-041R declaring the third weekend of July 2019, beginning at 12:01 a.m. on July 19, 2019, and ending at twelve midnight on Sunday, July 21, 2019, the third full weekend of July in 2019, as a Sales Tax Holiday for certain non-commercial purchases relating to school clothing and supplies
- Passed unanimously Resolution 2019-042R authorizing Mayor Riley to enter into contract with Goodwyn, Mills & Cawood, Inc of Montgomery, Alabama, in the amount of Five Million Six Hundred Sixty-Eight Thousand One Hundred Forty-One Dollars ($5,668,541.00), for professional engineering services for improvements for water service at the Valley Industrial Park
The mayor made the following announcements:
1. The next council meeting will be March 21st at 6:00pm at Valley City Hall
2. Valley Clean-Up Day will be Saturday, April 6th – Household Garbage the week of April
1st & Yard Debris the week of April 8.
3. A work session will be held Thursday, April 25th at 6PM at Valley City Hall
Council adjourned at 6:23PM.