City of Valley

RSS Feed

an alabama
of excellence Learn More

Parks and Recreation...
... recreation, leisure and culture for the citizens of the City of Valley [go]
How Do I...
pay my property taxes, purchase a tag, contact the city, report a hazard [go]

Where Do You Want To Go?


Historical Landmarks

Langdale Theater

Situated on an elevated site, this majestic building overlooks the historic Langdale Mill, which was built in 1866 and was the beginning of the textile village known as Langdale.

The theater was built in 1937, after the old wood frame theater and school burned.  Originally designed by Kennon Perry, architect of  Atlanta, it is a stylized neo-Georgian two-story brick building.  It has a formally balanced facade connected by a cloister to the  LaFayette  Lanier  School.  Three porch arches give the theater a Gothic  Temple appearance.
The building is used for school functions, stage plays, church groups, concerts, pageants, dance recitals, cantatas, religious events, and womanless weddings. For Landale community natives, it is fondly remembered as the “Picture Show.”
Restoration of the theater began in 1985 and is now complete. Its interior and exterior appearances are maintained as near to original as possible.  Its owner is the Chambers County Board of Education.

LaFayette Lanier School

After the original Langdale School Building burned, this building was begun on the same site in 1934. It was completed in 1936. It is designed in stylized Georgian by architect Kennon Perry. It is a two-story, structural tile building on a terraced elevation. From the outside, the structural tile looks like standard brick. The facade is formal with fanlights, nine over nine wooden Austral windows, and a gabled roof.

Twelve grades were taught here until the construction of Valley High School in 1939. The 10th, 11th, and 12th grades were relocated there. In later years, the 7th, 8th, and 9th grades were removed leaving only the kindergarten and elementary grades. The school continues to be a triumph of architectural beauty and an inspiration to educators, students, and area citizens. It is owned by the Chambers County Board of Education.

Fairfax First Christian Church

This building is part of the original Fairfax Mill village design which included worker housing, a general store, a school, a kindergarten, and a movie theater.

Built in 1916 by West Point Manufacturing Company, it was called the “Union Church.” It was shared by Disciples of Christ, Methodist, Baptist, and Nazarene denominations. When it was purchased by the Disciples of Christ, it was renamed the Fairfax First Christian Church.

Built in the shape of a cross, it has windows of hammered glass shaped in the design of Moses’ tablets. The pews and light fixtures have designs that repeat the shape of the windows.

The Fairfax First Christian Church was added to the Alabama List of Historic Places by the Alabama Historic Commission as part of the Fairfax Mill Village. A historic marker was installed, using a partial grant from the Chattahoochee Histoirc Commission, and displays the building’s history for public viewing.

Shawmut Kindergarten

Built in 1908, this type building is the only one remaining in  Alabama.  It was designed and constructed on a scale suitable for use by pre-school children.

Unoccupied since the students were transferred to the  Shawmut  Bob  Harding  School in 1984, the building its now owned by the City of  Valley.

Relocating, restoring, and re-using the structure was a primary goal of the Valley Historic Preservation Commission in 1998.

Shawmut Post Office

Now completely restored, the Shawmut Post Office building previously served the community for about 50 years.  Its service ceased when three of the village post offices were centralized and relocated to the Valley City Hall Municipal Complex.

The building was restored originally to be used as an office for a proposed City School System.  Since that time, it has been the office for the  Valley  Parks and Recreation Department, the location of the city’s Record Management program, and the center for official city functions.  Presently, it is occupied and used by the Criminal Investigation Division (CID) of the Valley Police Department.